Microsoft was looking to generate brand awareness for a new product—Kinect for Xbox 360—and drive purchase intent. Reaching the exact audience—active families with kids— was key to a successful product launch.
School Family Media conducted a survey among PTO and PTA leaders to gauge interest in a Family Game Night and, based on overwhelming response, created three test events in fall; the program rolled out nationwide the following year. Kinect Family Game Night put Xbox and Kinect equipment and games center stage. Game nights were promoted through various School Family Media channels as fun, interactive ways to help kids stay fit:
• Print advertising, including PTO Today magazine, reached thousands of PTO and PTA leaders and parents.
• Digital promotions included a new Family Game Night page on PTOtoday.com; a custom email to active PTO and PTA leaders; social media campaigns for leaders and school families; and inclusion in Leader Lowdown, a dedicated e-newsletter for our most engaged leaders.
• Two limited-time promotions encouraged sign-ups by offering a chance to win Kinect games for every registration.
• A custom online event showcase featured footage and photos of kickoff events to increase interest and spark excitement.
• Once registered, PTO and PTA leaders received marketing kits to help them organize and promote the events to their school families.
Microsoft connected its “staying fit is fun” message with thousands of key influencers at K-8 schools and hundreds of thousands of parents at fun and engaging school events. Results exceeded expectations for brand advertising of Kinect for Xbox 360:
• Within one month, 1,270 Kinect Family Game Night kits were requested by PTO and PTA leaders at K-8 schools across the country; 44% had already begun planning their Kinect Family Game Night events.
• More than 4,800 schools signed up to host Family Game Night events, contributing to the program’s extension.
• 93% of all groups planned to run another Family Game Night the following school year
Kinect Family Game Night kits were requested by PTO and PTA leaders
schools signed up to host Family Game Night events
of all groups planned to run another Family Game Night the following year
Stonewall Tell Elementary PTA, College Park, Ga.